søndag 24. februar 2008

Bergen, my city!


Bryggen, Bergen


Today, when reading about Bergen in another blog, it hit me that I have not written about Bergen, the nicest city in the world - as long as it is sunny! :D

The problem is... it's years since I stayed at any hotel in Bergen, AND since I am a really fan of Bergen, I may be a little bit biased. It's said about the people from Bergen that we are the most patriotic people in the world, and I think that is true.

When I was about 20 years I moved to Trondheim, to study. Before I moved I was very tired of Bergen and I was so happy to move away. It only took me a few months to realise that I missed the city, the people, the shops, even the rain, terribly. Every time I came home, for a visit, I was sorry to leave.

Luckily, after 5 years in Trondheim, we were able to move back to Bergen. Although I love to travel, Bergen will always be *my* city.

So... What is the best with Bergen? Hmmm..... I think it is the atmosphere... It's difficult to explain, you have to experience it yourself. The people of Bergen are very enthusiastic, patriotic and committed. Even if it's raining 300 days a year (not sure about the exact amount, but it feels like 300 days...:-)) we still love the city. And when the sun comes, all the people are going to the city, to the cafes or just to take a walk in the sun.

As I said, I have only been to two hotels in Bergen: Hotel Norge and Augustin. We had our wedding-night at Hotel Norge, 10 years ago. It was before I started to ruin my stay with being critical to everything, but I do remember the suit was great.

I am a little bit biased when it comes to Hotel Augustin as I worked there when I was going to school, in summertime and weekends. But that is... years ago... :-D Last time I was there was when T had his PhD graduation, 4 years ago. The rooms were (I have heard they have refurbished the hotel since then) a little bit dated and worn. The breakfast was very nice. This was also before I became critical...

I have heard Hotel Havnekontoret is very good, so IF I am going to stay at a hotel in Bergen, I think I am going to try that.

What to do in Bergen, as a tourist? You should go to "Akvariet", lots of fish, "sea-creeps" and even penguins. This is great also for grown-ups! Take the cable-car to either "Floyen" or "Ulriken". You get a fantastic view over Bergen. I would prefer "Floyen" as there is a restaurant and a playground at the top. Take a walk at "Bryggen" - a world heritage site.

There are lots of other things to do, I just don't have time for it now. Will write more later.

Ingen kommentarer: