søndag 24. februar 2008

The distinction between a true 5* and a naff one

The last weeks I have been watching and reading about the most luxurious hotels in the world. What hit me when going through all this information is: What is the distinction between a true 5* and a naff one? Is it possible that some of the true 5* is a little bit over the top?

When speaking about clothing, makeup and interior I have always thought that less is more. There is a very fine line from being exclusive elegant to being "tacky". I would say the same regarding hotels.

Earlier I have "raved" about Burj Al Arab in Dubai. I haven't been there, but I wish I could get the opportunity to stay there. However, I am afraid I would think the whole hotel is a little bit over the top. E.g. I don't see the point of having gold everywhere at a hotel (neither at home) and I don't think I need a 80 square meter room either.

I am afraid some of us, myself included, mix price and good taste: As long as it's expensive and exclusive, it has to be good. We got blinded of all the gold and greatness and forget to think if this really is good taste.

Speaking about Burj Al Arab. I am sure the hotel will give me a feeling of luxury because the level of service is very high (I have heard). The question is, would I have felt it even better if the interior and exterior had been more "down to earth"?

Ingen kommentarer: